Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Bus Station

English: Robinia pseudoacacia, Fabaceae, Black...


I have a story of my own in Korea. I flew into South Korea from Japan the week before the summer games were to begin in Seoul. My wife was already at her parents house and I was going to meet them. Anyway, from the airport in Seoul I made my way to a bus station to continue my trip. At the bus station I was inside walking around reading the bus schedules that were way up on the walls. I noticed this old guy watching me (I am not Korean). This guy followed me around the perimeter of the station as I was reading the signs but kept his distance. I went into the restroom to see what he would do and he followed me in. I went back out into the lobby and he came out with me. I thinking what's up with this guy. Well, he finally came over to me and asked in broken English where was I from. Being I just got the plane from Japan I told him just that, later I learned I should have said I was American. Next he starts yelling terrorist, terrorist at me. I had my bag slung over may shoulder and he grabbed it and started pulling. He couldn't get it from me so he let go and started swinging at me going for my face. It became obvious that this guy was drunk and next I see a crowd of people gathering around to watch. Time to make a run for it. I walked really fast for the exit, got outside and went for the taxi's. Made a deal for one of the drivers to take me to my next stop and got out of there.

Later when I met up with my wife, I told her the story. She said that the security was real tight because of concerns for trouble with a group I believe was called the Red Brigade in Japan that was threatening to cause problems during the Olympics. She said my telling the guy I came over from Japan probably made him assume I was Red Brigade. Her family thought it was great the guy took that initiative, unfortunately at my expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment