Saturday, January 19, 2013

Time Travel



My car now has bumper stickers. My favorite was one I found that says "My other car is a Pynchon Novel". Pynchon is an eccentric novelist who writes complex, eclectic pieces that are rather challenging to read. Mention one to an English teacher and they'll make that sort of wide-mouth horror face and shake their head. Now, I like Pynchon; which is why I slapped this sticker on there. The thing is that it doesn't mean anything. It's a joke because it doesn't make any sense. Those are the best kind of jokes. For example:

A man walks into a bar. He's an alcoholic who is destroying his life.

See? It's starts like a funny quip, but it's actually a dead-pan replica of a regular joke. Hilarity!

So, what's the problem with this? Well, now people ask me what it means. So, when someone catches the message and questions me, I simply look them in the eye, and look like I'm thinking really intensely for a minute. Then I'll stroke my chin and say "Well, what doesn't it mean?"

No comments:

Post a Comment